Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Contribution to the Rubia Project


I call my square "Thread by thread, Peace by piece". I am honored to be a part of such a powerful project such as Rubia.
I chose to incorporate and embroider my husband's grandmother Ruth's handkerchief which is almost 100 years old, to bring the energy of a past generation of an Eastern European woman to the quilt.
I chose to use the image of the Endless Knot because it represents unending love, peace, good fortune and the interconnectedness of all beings. It is an ancient symbol found in many cultures worldwide but the Tibetans were the first to recognize the sacred geometry of the endless knot symbol. The endless knot is an important symbol of our time in the midst of turmoil and this powerful symbol opens the heart chakra and is said to allow the healing energy of the heart to guide us to peace.
The image of the butterfly is very important to me because,
"What the caterpillar thinks is the end of the world...the butterfly knows is only the beginning!"

No comments: