Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Taproot


“We do not have to be long in the woods to experience the always rather anxious impression of ‘going deeper and deeper’ into a limitless world….” 
--Gaston Bachelard


Gallery 114’s annual juried show Taproot examines the artist’s impulse toward meaning-making, toward the process of finding the source. What in daily life provides context, gives form to meaning? Rather than put forth a set of specific content criteria, the Gallery was looking for submissions that either draw from or describe this impulse, what connects the artist to this limitless world.

That call for submissions seemed like a call I could not ignore. I feel like all the art that I create, is an impulse toward meaning-making and that process always leads me on a journey to find the source. Without expectation, I always arrive at a place I could have never anticipated, and that keeps me forever engaged in art making.

I was delighted to find out that all four of the pieces that I submitted to the jurors of this exhibit, were accepted for Taproot.

Gallery 114 is the only established gallery in Portland that has persisted in allowing its artists absolute artistic freedom throughout its 20-year history.
Founded in 1990 as an artist collective, Gallery 114 and its members have consistently produced a diversity of art work. Paintinsg, sculpture, photography and installation can be seen from its members, as well as curated events. The gallery is located at 1100 NW Glisan.

Gallery 114 will host Taproot during it's First Thursday opening reception on January 3, 2013 from 6-9pm. The gallery is opened Thursday-Sunday 12-6 pm.  



No comments: