Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Weekend at Hummingbird Studios


Last weekend I had a great opportunity to take a sculpting workshop at Leslie Lee and Dennis Meiners wonderful self constructed Hummingbird residence/studio/gallery,made out of straw bale/adobe , in Jacksonville, Oregon. We managed to remain relatively comfortable studying with Beverly Mayeri despite the almost 100 degree temperatures. Thanks goodness for adobe! This was basically my first attempt at sculpting since my wrist surgery 3 1/2 months ago so I entered into this weekend with a natural sense of trepidation. We worked on understanding the human head which was quite a challenge for me to "see" realistically rather than "imagine" what a head feels like in my mind. I know once I practice this technique I will be able to create my own balance between realism that is very cerebral and abstract which for me is a meditation. This is my first try in progress.Don't judge it too harshly yet as I will show you the magical outcome and share the story soon........so check back!

No comments: