Monday, November 24, 2008

Loaves and Fishes this Thanksgiving

Saturday I worked at Whole Foods Grocery asking if patrons would donate $3.68 or more to help provide a Thanksgiving Meal to homebound seniors. Usually I work at one of the Loaves and Fishes center in my neighborhood weekly. The meals are truly accepted with gratefulness. Working at the grocery store however was truly a challenge and a test for me in dealing with anger, resentment and lack of tolerance when faced with the numbers of people who would not participate. I am trying through this, to work on those character challenges I was faced with. All in all when I completed my shift, I still was left with the feeling that in general most of humanity is generous, good, peaceful and compassionate. It is never too late if you wish to donate a meal for Thanksgiving or at anytime of the year to help a senior. Some seniors depend on this as their only meal of the day. This year there were 1,450 volunteers working and together we helped to raise $227,000!! This was a tremendous help in fulfilling the mission that NO SENIOR GOES HUNGRY OR EXPERIENCES SOCIAL ISOLATION. I feel proud to have been a part of this tremendously successful holiday venture especially in difficult economic times.

No comments: