Friday, February 8, 2013

The Never Ending Eloquence and Relevance of Mary Oliver's Words


Red Bird Explains Himself
~ Mary Oliver ~
“Yes, I was the brilliance floating over the snow
and I was the song in the summer leaves, but this was
only the first trick
I had hold of among my other mythologies,
for I also knew obedience: bring sticks to the nest,
food to the young, kisses to my bride.

But don’t stop there, stay with me: listen.
If I was the song that entered your heart
then I was the music of your heart, that you wanted and needed,
and thus wilderness bloomed that, with all its
followers: gardeners, lovers, people who weep
for the death of rivers.
And this was my true task, to be the
music of the body.  Do you understand? for truly the body needs
a song, a spirit, a soul.  And no less, to make this work,the soul has need of a body,
and I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable
beauty of heaven
where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,
and this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.”

It has felt like a whirlwind lately with the Gallery 114 interview and I have missed Tuesday night dance. I rejoiced in returning this week and was met with our new poem that had begun the week before, "Red Bird Explains Himself". My hidden line beaconed to me and it couldn't have more perfectly illustrated my life right now. The hidden line that I picked was "a song, a spirit, a soul.  And no less, to make this work". Indeed it is what is needed for me to create my work.
I was thrilled to have gotten this line. It first resonated for me, as an expression of my elation at being the newest member of Gallery 114, and all the possibilities that it holds for me. My creative spirit has felt as if it has been given a much needed jump start of sorts, with the prospect of my always longed for one woman show, that is scheduled to take place next February. Yes an entire year, a lifetime away, so it seems, but much work/passion has to transpire and come to fruition between February 2013 and 2014. The line spoke to me of the song, the spirit and the soul that seems to flow through me as I create and am created as I birth my work. But that word "work".... when I read it a second time I was met with the two meanings of the word "work". I first thought of the thrill of the work yet to come, and then the fear set in, and I was met with the question, can I make it "work"? I hesitated for a moment and then affirmed the first word of the poem aloud, YES! I am filled with many emotions now as I ponder this coming creative year. There are pieces I have recently created, as well as pieces yet to be created, that long to take their rightful place in the gallery next year. It will be a process that will unfold and no doubt hold many surprises, fears, joys and satisfactions for me as it evolves. I welcome them all.


No comments: