Sunday, March 20, 2011

"People are like stained glass windows: They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within." ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross~
  • Last night I had the extreme privilege of witnessing a dance performance choreographed by Meshi Chavez and inspired by Walt Whitman's poem "We Two Boys". It was truly one of the most amazing performances I have ever had the honor of experiencing. In a powerful yet vulnerable and truly authentic way, Meshi and Richard took the viewers on, and into, a journey that explored our sense of self in this world; where we fit in, how we struggle to stay true to ourselves, despite the constraints society puts upon us to be something other than our true selves. Meshi took a piece of his heart out, presented it to all of us to share and revealed something so rich, universal and profound, that I am forever impacted by this. I will never be the same, for having experienced this amazing evening. By experiencing last night, I also was given the gift of realizing the power and necessity of being the observer, and that was a huge awakening in light of the prior evening's frustrations for me at Reflective Dance Practice. His choreography and movement are a true gift to the art world, and I am proud to call him my friend and fellow dancer in this family community I am so blessed to be a part of, as my spiritual practice, however that shows up for me right now.

No comments: